10 tips for what to wear to your session
One of my favorite parts of my job as a wedding and portrait photographer, is helping style anniversary or engagement sessions. On the Western Slope of Colorado we have so many options for locations and outfits, that can truly help reflect a couple’s personality in the photographs. If you want western and country, we can shoot at a number of locations with "ranch feels" and get decked out in turquoise and boots. If out want forest and mountains, we can head to a trail pretty much anywhere in Ouray in your favorite plaid shirt and hiking boots. That is why I love fashion, because it is another tool for artistically expressing yourself. Today I am posting 10 what to wear tips for your portrait session.
- Be you. Choose clothing and accessories that represent your style and that you feel great in. You know your body type, so dress to flatter yourself.
- Be comfortable. Select clothing that fits well and that compliments your figure. Arrange your outfits ahead of time, and make sure they are clean and wrinkle-free.
- Try to avoid clothing with logos.
- Coordinate your outfit selections versus matching.
5. Select outfits that compliment each other in color, style and level of formality. Light clothes look better on lighter backgrounds, and dark clothes look better on darker backgrounds.
6. Don’t hesitate to bring a couple of different outfits. Most couples bring one casual outfit and one formal one!
7. Generally, sleeveless shirts and shorts on adults tend to not flatter, avoid them. But layered clothing is wonderful. Layers and texture translate great on camera! So don’t be afraid to layer jewelry, scarves, sweaters, jackets or any combination in order to create depth in your outfits.
8. Don’t forget the details! Accessories, nails, shoes. The level of care on even the little things can add up! A fresh manicure, polished shoes and even the simplest earrings can create a more polished and styled look. Shoes! As mentioned before, you want to be comfortable, and stylish too. There can be lots of walking during a session. So if your planning on wearing your favorite heels, you might also think about bring some flats for in-between scenes.
9. Consider having your hair and makeup done for your session. Having a professional hair and makeup stylist prep you for your session will help polish and enhance your look for photos even if you’ve selected casual apparel for your session.
10. Don’t stress! Photo sessions should be fun and natural. It is important that you feel comfortable. I will be capturing a lot of shots during, and in-between directed ‘scenes’. Don’t worry about if you look okay or not in the moment, that is my job. I will be focused on making your session fun and easy to capture you. Let yourself enjoy the experience, and enjoy being together.
I hope there little tips were a big help for planning out your outfits for your engagement, anniversary or adventure session! Check out my blog about My Favorite Locations in Ouray!